Manufacturer Part Number: 9920-65029-00
Get all of the same tools, features, and workflows of Media Composer, as Symphony is identical in its editorial offerings:
- Accelerate your storytelling with ultra-accurate yet flexible editing tools and 64-bit performance
- Work with the Avid or third-party I/O hardware you want
- Directly access and edit RED, ProRes, QuickTime, AVCHD, ARRI ALEXA, XDCAM, P2, and other file-based formats without transcoding
- Mix and match formats, frame rates, resolutions, and more in the same timeline—in real-time
- Edit stereoscopic 3D projects with a full set of advanced tools and workflows
- Create studio-quality surround mixes right within your editing software
- Integrate into any production pipeline and collaborate with ease
- Speed up color tasks—with hands-on precision—with the optional Artist Color control surface
- Add Symphony to your existing camera and hardware I/O setup and workflows
- Create stunning visual effects and transitions with the included Boris Continuum Complete
- Correct and enhance color, with full 4:4:4 HD RGB color support, using advanced and secondary color correction tools, including Luma, Channels, and source side correction
- Create and deliver multiformat final outputs in the highest quality with Universal Mastering (requires Nitris DX hardware)
* To take advantage of the Symphony crossgrade, you must already own a System ID for your existing Media Composer, Xpress Pro or Xpress DV product, in order to activate the Symphony software.
You’re going places—literally and figuratively. Having the right video editing and finishing tools that move with you is crucial. That’s why we broke Symphony Nitris DX apart, so you can work wherever and however you please. Symphony 6 is now available in a software-only version, giving you a cost-effective, highly versatile solution that works with your existing hardware. For better performance, bundle it with an Avid video interface or get the complete Symphony System. Plus, you get many exciting new features and workflows that professionals like you asked for.
- Edit and finish with just Symphony software, with Symphony and a hardware interface, or as part of a complete turnkey system
- Get better performance and speed to handle complex editing, now that Symphony is a 64-bit app
- Work with the Avid or third-party hardware you want—with Avid Open I/O, third-party manufacturers can now make their I/O hardware work with Symphony
- Manage and edit stereoscopic 3D projects with a comprehensive set of editorial tools and workflows
- Take hands-on control of all color correction and grading functions with Artist Color
- Create 5.1 and 7.1 surround mixes directly within Symphony, or import from Pro Tools
- Work more creatively with audio with new mixer features and support for additional Pro Tools hardware
- Work more easily and efficiently—but not differently—with the sleek and sexy new user interface
- Get full native ProRes support on Mac (encode and decode) and Windows (decode only) for easy integration into any ProRes workflow
- Instantly access, screen, and edit AVCHD clips and RED EPIC footage through AMA
- Accelerate your RGB 4:4:4 workflow with Avid DNxHD 444, which delivers exceptional image quality in a low bandwidth format
- Conveniently purchase stock footage, plug-ins, and more through the Avid Marketplace
- Get direct access to user guides and documentation from within the interface
- Access additional ancillary data when working with XDCAM HD material
- Work more easily with animated effects with many keyframe editor improvements
- Includes Boris Continuum Complete, Avid FX (Boris RED), Avid DVD, and Sorenson Squeeze in all flavors of Symphony
- Manage multiple licenses more easily with unified licensing
New features and workflows
Edit and finish on the go
As a software-only solution, Symphony enables you to edit and finish projects anywhere you and your laptop roam—no hardware required. And with its lower price and comprehensive toolset, you can complete all offline and online work in-house, saving you money now and in the future. To capture, monitor, and output projects, pair Symphony with an Avid or third-party interface* —or purchase the complete Symphony system, which includes your choice of Avid video interface and a high-performance Mac or PC for maximum power.
Full 64-bit power
Fast gets even faster with native 64-bit operation, so even when you layer together the most complex effects, things will still feel snappy. Experience smoother playback, faster rendering performance, and better handling with large bins—and say goodbye to the old memory limitations of the 32-bit operating systems.
Better performance—and 3D—with Avid hardware
For the fastest capture/edit/monitor/output workflows, pair Symphony with a Nitris DX video interface and experience hardware-accelerated power that’s second to none. You can now even customize Nitris DX with up to two Avid DNxHD or AVC-Intra chips to fully support stereoscopic 3D and HD RGB 4:4:4 workflows.
Open for business
Symphony is now fully open thanks to Avid Open I/O, so you can work with your choice of Avid audio and video interfaces or third-party video interfaces, including those from AJA, Blackmagic Design, Bluefish444, Matrox, and MOTU. Manufacturers can simply create plug-ins using Avid Open I/O to have their hardware work with Symphony, meaning you’ll have even more choices to come. See all supported hardware - http://www.avid.com/products/Symphony/Hardware-Options
Gain efficiency with the sleek new user interface
Modern, smart, and sexy. Symphony has a whole new look, but its familiar editing workflow stays the same. Get to what you need faster through the tabbed interface (no more window clutter!). You can also customize bin layouts and Workspaces, enabling you to focus only on the assets and tools you need for the project at hand.
Get stock footage and more in the Avid Marketplace
Browse the Avid Marketplace for stock footage, video and audio plug-ins, software and hardware options, training materials, and more—right from within the app. You can even access user guides and other documentation without having to scour our website.
Work with 3D
Edit stereoscopic 3D material as quickly and easily as you do with standard 2D footage, with a full set of new features and workflows. Capture, edit, and manage the complete 3D end-to-end workflow. Mix and match 2D and stereoscopic 3D clips on the same track. Plus, work with full frame and frame-compatible sources, full-fledged editing tools, video effects, and more.
Go hands-on with Artist Color
Accelerate your color correcting and grading with Artist Color. With its highly responsive feel, you can keep your eyes on the picture instead of the interface while you make adjustments. And since you can tweak multiple parameters at once, you dramatically gain more speed and efficiency to complete time-consuming tasks quickly.
Mix in surround sound
You want your audio to sound as spectacular as your video looks. Now you can record, edit, and mix studio-quality audio in up to 7.1 surround—right in Symphony. Not only that, you can share mixes with Pro Tools editors (using AAF), and even record and monitor audio using a host of Avid audio interfaces.
Edit faster and easier than ever
Open to anything
Symphony is now fully open, so you can work with what you want and what you might already have. Use the software standalone to edit and finish file-based projects. Pair it with an Avid or third-party video interface to capture, monitor, and output projects. Or purchase the complete Symphony System for maximum performance. You can also work with practically any media format, integrate into any professional production pipeline, and polish projects using a host of third-party visual effects and tools.
Experience the “waitless" workflow
With AMA (Avid Media Access), you can instantly access and edit file-based media—including new RED/RED EPIC, new AVCHD, ProRes, QuickTime (including footage from HDSLR cameras), XDCAM, P2, Canon XF, and other formats—without transcoding, importing, or rewrapping files. Get a jumpstart on reviewing footage without the wait, and avoid bringing in unwanted material. And as new cameras and formats emerge, manufacturers can create and release their own AMA plug-ins independently from a Symphony release.
Work with any media
File-based media, analog and digital tape, stereoscopic 3D material, film — bring it on. Symphony offers a wide range of features, workflows, and options that enable you to work with everything, from old-school media to the latest camera technologies. Experience the fastest tapeless workflows in the industry. Capture footage directly from digital cameras. Or add an Avid or third-party video interface to capture and output from other analog or digital sources. Plus, with support for 4:4:4 HD-RGB color and DNxHD 444, you can work efficiently while preserving the full-quality color detail from beginning to end.
Take storytelling to the cutting edge
It doesn’t matter how you learned to edit—Symphony goes where others leave off, enabling you to work faster and in ways you’re most comfortable. In fact, its tools are ACE-certified. Trim clips and manipulate transitions on the fly using the Smart Tool or perform ultra-precise edits using traditional tools. Mix and match media formats, frame rates, resolutions, and more in the same timeline—in real time—without rendering. And edit HD material in real-time—in mastering picture quality—using Avid DNxHD or DNxHD 444.
Collaborate with ease
Share media, projects, and bins—locally and across the world—to complete projects on time and on budget. With Avid ISIS, you and your team can access the same assets and capture media to the same volume simultaneously. Access files—even when in use by others—without copying media. Collaborate across mixed editing platforms, including Final Cut Pro through AMA, which supports ProRes encoding (Mac only) and decoding. Share audio mixes with Pro Tools editors—and vice-versa—using AAF. And bring collaboration to the highest level with Avid Interplay.
Find the right clips and best takes fast
Working on a scripted or dialog-heavy project such as a reality TV show, documentary, or interview? Save hours of wasted search time using two dialog search options for Symphony. For script-based projects, the ScriptSync powered by Nexidia option phonetically indexes all clip dialog in your project and then syncs all relevant clips to your script—automatically—so you can find the best takes fast. The PhraseFind powered by Nexidia option offers the same phonetic audio indexing, but enables you to quickly pull up all relevant clips by searching on a key word or phrase.
Gain peace of mind with reliable media management
Whether you work alone or as part of a team, you won’t have to worry about losing your assets. Symphony provides you with 20+ years of industry-proven media management innovation, which keeps track of all your projects, assets, source material, rendered files, metadata, and more, so you don’t have to. Not only that, you can customize it to track your assets the way you want.
Shop the Avid Marketplace
Conveniently browse for stock footage, video and audio plug-ins, hardware, and more, right from within Symphony—no shoes, shirt, or pants required. Search for and preview stock footage from Thought Equity Motion, download comps for editing, and make purchases once editorial is complete. Shop for video and audio plug-ins to get the look and sound you’re after. Discover software options that’ll greatly speed up your workflow. Shop for audio interfaces and other hardware. You’ll even find training and other media that’ll help perfect your skills.
Get the look, sound, and quality you want
Design and dazzle with visual effects
Give your projects that professional polish using the bundled and built-in design and effects tools. Get that professional high-quality look with Boris Continuum Complete, which includes over 200 filters, 3D objects, effects, keys and mattes, and more. Create eye-catching 2D and 3D composites, titles, animation, and effects with Avid FX (aka Boris RED), a powerful collection of creative tools designed by Boris FX. Add visual impact, drama, and depth with a host of built-in 2D and 3D effects, title tools, transitions, key and motion effects, and more. Add focus and fix issues with motion tracking and stabilization tools. And expand your visual palette with our third-party partners' effects, many of which can be purchased within Symphony from the Avid Marketplace.
Create studio-quality soundtracks
Make your projects sound as good as they look using the built-in audio recording, editing, and mixing tools. Record and monitor voiceovers, overdubs, and more using select Avid audio interfaces. Edit and mix multitrack audio in up to 7.1 surround. Share mixes with Pro Tools editors. Polish sounds with 20 included AIR effects—the same ones that come with Pro Tools. And expand your sound with the industry’s best compressors, reverbs, and other sound processing plug-ins, many of which can be purchased within Symphony from the Avid Marketplace.
Color correct and grade with precision
Save time and maintain the highest quality production with the fully integrated 10-bit color correction toolset. Quickly and accurately match colors from shot to shot using NaturalMatch. Gain better color precision with support for full-quality 4:4:4 HD-RGB color space processing. Get fine control over shots with animatable color correction. Speed up your color work with Artist Color. And dive into the large palette of easy-to-use tools to refine settings or get creative.
Take your offline online with powerful finishing tools
With advanced and secondary color tools, you can correct color and grade it to get the look you’re after—with the utmost precision—and with full 4:4:4 HD RGB color support. When you’re ready to send your project out to tape, simply set the desired output frame rate in Universal Mastering to create your final master in the highest quality, with consistency—even if your project includes clips with different frame rates. (Universal Mastering is only available when used with Nitris DX hardware.)
Design and deliver
With Avid DVD and Sorenson Squeeze included, you can author DVDs and optimize media for the highest-quality playback—online or on disc. Author professional DVDs and Blu-ray Discs using Avid DVD, which works with Windows-based systems (including emulation software on Macs). With Sorenson Squeeze you can optimize content in a variety of formats (including HD, DVD, MPEG-2, MPEG-4/H.264, Flash, and 3GPP).
Get the support you need
Get started fast
To help you get up and running quickly, we offer a huge collection of video tutorials, workflow guides, webinars, and more on our website.
Join the community for support and more
Need advice or answers from your peers and experts? Join the Avid community, made up of hundreds of professional editors and Avid representatives around the world. Search for answers, ask questions, or help others in our forums. Get some great tips and tutorials from other users in the community. And check out what other Symphony users are doing or thinking about in our Blogs section.
We’re here to help
If you need personal assistance, help is just a click, email, or phone call away. We offer a variety of support options, from the affordable Avid Vantage—which provides unlimited online support, five NewBlueFX plug-ins for a year, and a great return on your $149 investment (which can be applied towards an upgrade)—to Avid Priority and Avid Uptime Support plans for more critical needs.
Hardware Options - http://www.avid.com/US/products/Symphony/Hardware-Options
- Media specifications
- Supported project formats
- Native codec support
- File-based support
- Uncompressed SD and HD video
- Supported audio and video plug-in formats
- Symphony software—Edit and finish HD, SD, and stereoscopic 3D material
- Avid DVD—Author DVD and Blu-ray discs
- Avid FX—Create and animate titles, effects, transitions, and more
- Boris Continuum Complete—Create stunning visual effects
- Sorenson Squeeze—Optimize and deliver content
- EDL Manager—Export timecode metadata
- FilmScribe—Export film metadata
- Log Exchange—Convert shot logs into ALE files
- MediaLog—Manage logging and metadata
- User guides and other documentation
For optimal performance and reliability, be sure that your computer or laptop meets the following minimum system requirements for Media Composer 6, Symphony 6, or NewsCutter1 10 software.
Important: Avid dedicates a significant amount of engineering resources and time to test and qualify specific platform configurations. Please note that we cannot provide support should you choose to use a non-Avid-qualified system.
- Computer: Avid-qualified Windows-based computer or laptop2 (see details - http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=422411)
- OS: Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit)
- Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz processor or faster
- Memory: 4 GB of RAM (6+ GB of RAM recommended for Windows 7 and Windows Vista)
- Graphics Card: NVIDIA Quadro FX family3 (FX 560 or higher)
- Internal Hard Drive: Minimum 80 GB 7200 rpm hard disk
- Computer: Avid-qualified Mac-based computer or laptop2 (see details - http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=422411)
- OS: Mac OS X Lion (64-bit)
- Processor: Intel Dual or Intel Dual Core 2.66 GHz Xeon processor or faster, or Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz processor or faster (laptops)
- Memory: 4 GB of RAM (6+ GB of RAM recommended)
- Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce family3 or ATI Radeon family (as supported by Apple)
- Internal Hard Drive: Minimum 80 GB 7200 rpm hard disk
- Additional compatibility information
- QuickTime: Avid has tested and qualified Apple QuickTime X for Mac users and QuickTime 7.6.9 for Windows users
- Windows Media Player: Microsoft Windows Media Player 11 is required to export certain formats and to work with VC-1 material
- Please note that NewsCutter is available for Windows only.
- Uncompressed video on laptops is limited to one stream of uncompressed SD video, except for Windows-based Intel Core i7 laptops (Quad Core with Hyper-Threading) with eSata external storage, which can play multiple streams of 1:1 uncompressed SD.
- NVIDIA cards are recommended; full-screen playback requires a minimum of 128 MB of graphics memory.
- DNxHD capture with Mojo DX is only supported with Windows-based Intel Core i7 laptops (Quad Core with Hyper-Threading).