| Manufacturer Part Number: 3D-COAT 3.5 WIN|
Whats New in 3D Coat 3.7
- Check out this link for all the new features!
Voxel sculpting allows you sculpt without any topological constraints and create complex details out of thin air! You can dynamically change your sculpture, fundamentally, without worrying about topology. This approach gives you an absolute feeling of freedom in sculpting. It is not based on surface deformation but on volume building and filling. Feel like a true artist here, don't think about polygons and structure, just express yourself as an artist!
1. Traditional and Volumetric sculpting comparison
- Traditional sculpting can result in stretched polygons.
- Larger alterations to the topology can be difficult, (if not impossible), with traditional sculpting tools.
2. A True Artist's Tool
- Artists want to draw, to sculpt, to create - the last thing they want to think about is the geometry of an object.
- They want to focus more of their time on form and texture, and less on polygons and edge flow.
- They want to feel like an Artist, rather than an engineer.
3. Volumetric Sculpting Principles4. Voxel Operations Examples:5. Example: Coral Reef
- Voxels are dots in space with a value between 0 and 1
- A marching cubes algorithm allows you to modify the actual volume of an object rather than just the surface.
- Using “Move"
- Cutting holes
- Merging objects
- Pay particular attention to the moray eel and the tentacles on the jelly fish
- 3D-Coat has a powerful system of curve manipulation
6. Example:7. Hair Example:
- You can use any closed OBJ file as a profile
- You can create basic forms very quickly
- You can put details on objects (chains, hoses, stitches, rivets, buckles, etc.)
- Hair is also made using curves.
- Curves can be merged at the pen location or be positioned arbitrarily in space.
- In addition to voxel operations, there are a full set of tools that are familiar to ZB/MB users.
- Surface deformation with masking, fine detailing, etc.
- Transpose – Adjusting the object's position, local rotation, translation, and scaling.
9. Technical Considerations
- Manipulating hundreds of millions of voxels require a highly organized dataflow.
- Our voxel optimization routines allow a complex voxel model to be created with the same amount of RAM as a similarly structured polygonal model.
- 20 million voxel polygons can easily be manipulated, even without hardware acceleration, (CUDA).
10. Using CUDA
- NVidia CUDA is supported as an option for voxel calculation acceleration.
- NVidia 8, 9, 2 series
- Even an inexpensive NVidia graphics card (120$ - 220$) can increase acceleration 4-7 times
- Release of v3.0 will be in the first quarter of 2009
- Essential improvements to functionality – volumetric layers, several primitives for fast creation of 3D sketches, hundreds of millions of voxels
- Real-time (up to 50 million triangles)?
- User created shaders
- Offline rendering
Revolutionary to the Industry! Auto-retopology, (AUTOPO), with user defined guides for accurate edge loops. Use a convenient wizard to help you identify desired areas of mesh density and to define the flow of edge loops.- Non-connected objects are supported.
- Import you objects directly for AUTOPO from the "File/Import" menu. It will automatically close holes, convert to voxels, and create a practical, organized mesh.
- AUTOPO automatically cleans up any non-manifold topology to avoid any subsequent problems.
- Total number of triangles, quads and n-gons are visible in the Retopo Room. Each polygon type can be individually selected, for clarification and identification.
- Vertex picking in retopo room has been improved.
More info here - http://www.3d-coat.com/retopology/
If your 3D model doesn't have a UV-set or you want to change an existing one or you've just retopologized your voxel sculpture and like to make a UV-set you are able to do all these things right within 3D-Coat in a very fast way.
3D-Coat offers powerful tools for making and editing UV-sets. You can edit separate UV islands, faces, edges or vertices. There is a possibility to manage several UV-sets.
Three unwrapping algorithms: ABF++, LSCM and Planar:Three display types: No checker, Simple checker, Complex checker:
Per pixel painting is a fast and precise painting approach. Allows layered color and displacement painting over low-poly and high-poly meshes without initial geometry distortion. With this method you can paint directly on your mesh to a texture map, this is ideal for low-poly game assets. You can import a normal map to use as a guide.
These images demonstrate normal map baking from high- to low-poly model, and texturing with layers of color, specular, bump (depth).Painting in 3D-Coat has full-featured layer functionality:
- Good Linking With Photoshop - 3D-Coat and Photoshop can pass all layers information back and forth with just a few mouse clicks, which is very handy for texturing process.
- Painting With Layers - Create photo-realistic textures for your models with as many layers and blending effects as you need.
- 3DConnexion Support - 3D-Coat supports the Space-Navigator from 3DConnexion. It allows you to navigate your model in 3D space easily and conveniently.
- CUDA Acceleration - 3D-Coat uses CUDA acceleration that fundamentally speeds up Voxel Sculpting operations.
- Auto-Retopology - New, time saving technology that automatically creates highly organized and practical mesh topology, with accurate edgeloops and uniform distribution of quads!
- 8 Languages Supported - Available in English, Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, French, German, Korean, and Russian.
- Rendering - Render your masterpieces right within 3D-Coat with multiple light sources, soft shadows, ambient occlusion, depth of field, and many more options.
- Ptex Support - From now on 3D-Coat supports Disney's famous Ptex system! Now you can create absolutely seamless textures without UV unwrapping!
- Intuitive Interface - You will be pleased with a professional and fully customizable interface. Group dockable windows as you like to make your work more effective.
- Friendly Community - Our web-community is the place where you can always find help, some good advice, ecouragment, and lots more.
Download the latest version - 3D-Coat 3.5 - Windows, Mac OS, Linux
Upgrade to V3.5 (free for all V3.x customers) or use 30 day fully functional free trial: http://3d-coat.com/download/login/
Trial version is fully functional during 30 days!
After this period you can use it in demo mode:
-all export functions are disabled
-limitation on quantity of layers per object, maximum 7 layers allowed
-maximum texture size is 2048x2048
- OS: Windows 2000, XP, Vista, Mac OS 10.4.5 (Intel) or later
- CPU: 1.2 GHz or better
- RAM: 512Mb (4096 recommended)
- Video: Radeon 9600/Nvidia 5600 128Mb (256 recommended) or better
- DirectX 9.0c or better for Windows, OpenGL 2.0 for MacOS