| Manufacturer Part Number: 3D-COAT 4.0 WIN EDU|
Limitation of Education version:
1) no commercial usage
2) textures size to export is limited to 2048x2048
3) layers amout is limited to 7
Whats New in 3D Coat 4.0
- Live Clay released! We are glad to finally release long-awaited "dynamic tessellation" Live Clay sculpting tools. With Live Clay you won't bother anymore about resolution of your entire object, as now you'll have desired level of details only where you need it.
- Interface revised! New style. New Iconic Look. New Start Dialog. New shaders preview.
- Painting emissive and colored specular introduced.
- Speed increased everywhere 3 to 10x. This is mostly related to Win version, Mac and Linux versions got speedup too, but Win version speedup is especially impressive!
- Painting over voxels/vertex painting introduced.
- Major update of texture baking functions
- High-speed boolean operations in surface mode, hardsurface modeling with sharp edges.
- Dozens of new tools and options!
- New Spline drawing mode. Multiple strokes per pass, closed strokes allowed. Different radius per control point if needed (optional). Better spline preview. Progress shown. Good description in hints. Spline shapes tuned to be very nice and predictable. It allows modeling of very clean and accurate strokes with spline and pressure graph in ANY tool where it makes sense.
- Special tools for Product/Prototype modeling
- Scripting via "C++ like" Angelscript
- Possibility to retopo big meshes 10-50M and more
- Paint Room changes:
- Colored specular and emissive channels introduced in ppp/mv/ptex/voxels. Use new layer blending modes to assign colored specular/emissive to some layers
- Specular contrast to Specular modulator in Layer options for convenience
- Magic Wand tool.
- Pencil tool. Works as in Photoshop for precise pixelated painting
- Clone tool got major update (mv, ppp, voxels)
- Voxels Room Changes:
- New spacebar menu with quick access slots
- Vox Layer, Vox Extrude tools
- New Fit tool to combine separate pieces that look similar but has different topology. Important to handle scan data
- Remove undercuts tool
- Volume preserving mode in masks painting added
- Smooth all may work over frozen area and will work much faster. It gives a good and predictable way to smooth selected areas.
- Extrude/Flatten area in voxel surface mode done
- Surface smooth polished a lot, now it has a lot of useful options and has become a very powerful tool.
- New items in VoxTree menu: Show all, Show subtree (to make nodes visible
- All applicable brush jitters will act in Merge tool in "On pen" mode.
- Proxy (multiresolution) may now work via decimate! It helps a lot with thin surfaces.
- New command in VoxTree - Split with... to split one volume with another one into two parts. It works for both modes - surface and voxels.
- In Move/Pose/Transform tools you will be able to modify voxels and retopo simultaneously (optionally):
- Pressing SHIFT while dragging transform tool allows to move only gizmo as if "Move only gizmo" was chosen.
- Current selected point in Curves tool will be highlighted when you edit points.
- Retopo and UV Room Changes:
- Models palette is now available in Retopo room to be merged directly in the retopo room. Retopo layers may be dragged to that palette.
- Retopo->Export groups for exporting group as separate file.
- Faces extrude tool in face selection mode
- Automatic vertex/edge/face selection in Select tool. Double-click will select connective area.
- Selection is additive now. Use CTRL+D or ESC or click outside the retopo mesh to deselect.
- Add/Split Quads may work in free space too if you attaching polygons to existing geometry.
- General Retopo settings moved to Menu line to save space.
- Points&Faces tool got set of improvements
- UV improvement - you may select multiple UV islands, copy via CTRL+C, select one island of similar topology and use CTRL+V to put them on each other.
- Auto seams will act on current group only.
- Possibility to specify distance between UV islands when packing.
- Retopo opacity may now be varied, other UV-sets are visible too (more transparent).
- Other changes:
- Render quality (shadows, transparency, wireframe) improved!
- Essentially updated Presets system!
- Important change! "Ignore backfaces" works based on Z-Buffer, not on normals direction. It makes possible to work correctly over multilayered structures correctly (i.e. thin pants).
- Brush Curve Editor
- Direct uploading to sketchfab.com and verold.com
- Masks preview for cubemapping (while navigating)
- E-mode circle/lasso/rectangle/spline etc will work closer to PS style - SPACE+LMB will move the whole shape.
- E-mode improvements: new modes for square and circle instead of SHIFT+Drag because SHIFT conflicts with other modes
- MUCH MORE!
Whats New in 3D Coat 3.7
- Check out this link for all the new features!
Voxel sculpting allows you sculpt without any topological constraints and create complex details out of thin air! You can dynamically change your sculpture, fundamentally, without worrying about topology. This approach gives you an absolute feeling of freedom in sculpting. It is not based on surface deformation but on volume building and filling. Feel like a true artist here, don't think about polygons and structure, just express yourself as an artist!
1. Traditional and Volumetric sculpting comparison
- Traditional sculpting can result in stretched polygons.
- Larger alterations to the topology can be difficult, (if not impossible), with traditional sculpting tools.
2. A True Artist's Tool
- Artists want to draw, to sculpt, to create - the last thing they want to think about is the geometry of an object.
- They want to focus more of their time on form and texture, and less on polygons and edge flow.
- They want to feel like an Artist, rather than an engineer.
3. Volumetric Sculpting Principles4. Voxel Operations Examples:5. Example: Coral Reef
- Voxels are dots in space with a value between 0 and 1
- A marching cubes algorithm allows you to modify the actual volume of an object rather than just the surface.
- Using “Move"
- Cutting holes
- Merging objects
- Pay particular attention to the moray eel and the tentacles on the jelly fish
- 3D-Coat has a powerful system of curve manipulation
6. Example:7. Hair Example:
- You can use any closed OBJ file as a profile
- You can create basic forms very quickly
- You can put details on objects (chains, hoses, stitches, rivets, buckles, etc.)
- Hair is also made using curves.
- Curves can be merged at the pen location or be positioned arbitrarily in space.
- In addition to voxel operations, there are a full set of tools that are familiar to ZB/MB users.
- Surface deformation with masking, fine detailing, etc.
- Transpose – Adjusting the object's position, local rotation, translation, and scaling.
9. Technical Considerations
- Manipulating hundreds of millions of voxels require a highly organized dataflow.
- Our voxel optimization routines allow a complex voxel model to be created with the same amount of RAM as a similarly structured polygonal model.
- 20 million voxel polygons can easily be manipulated, even without hardware acceleration, (CUDA).
10. Using CUDA
- NVidia CUDA is supported as an option for voxel calculation acceleration.
- NVidia 8, 9, 2 series
- Even an inexpensive NVidia graphics card (120$ - 220$) can increase acceleration 4-7 times
- Release of v3.0 will be in the first quarter of 2009
- Essential improvements to functionality – volumetric layers, several primitives for fast creation of 3D sketches, hundreds of millions of voxels
- Real-time (up to 50 million triangles)?
- User created shaders
- Offline rendering
Revolutionary to the Industry! Auto-retopology, (AUTOPO), with user defined guides for accurate edge loops. Use a convenient wizard to help you identify desired areas of mesh density and to define the flow of edge loops.- Non-connected objects are supported.
- Import you objects directly for AUTOPO from the "File/Import" menu. It will automatically close holes, convert to voxels, and create a practical, organized mesh.
- AUTOPO automatically cleans up any non-manifold topology to avoid any subsequent problems.
- Total number of triangles, quads and n-gons are visible in the Retopo Room. Each polygon type can be individually selected, for clarification and identification.
- Vertex picking in retopo room has been improved.
More info here - http://www.3d-coat.com/retopology/
If your 3D model doesn't have a UV-set or you want to change an existing one or you've just retopologized your voxel sculpture and like to make a UV-set you are able to do all these things right within 3D-Coat in a very fast way.
3D-Coat offers powerful tools for making and editing UV-sets. You can edit separate UV islands, faces, edges or vertices. There is a possibility to manage several UV-sets.
Three unwrapping algorithms: ABF++, LSCM and Planar:Three display types: No checker, Simple checker, Complex checker:
Per pixel painting is a fast and precise painting approach. Allows layered color and displacement painting over low-poly and high-poly meshes without initial geometry distortion. With this method you can paint directly on your mesh to a texture map, this is ideal for low-poly game assets. You can import a normal map to use as a guide.
These images demonstrate normal map baking from high- to low-poly model, and texturing with layers of color, specular, bump (depth).Painting in 3D-Coat has full-featured layer functionality:
- Good Linking With Photoshop - 3D-Coat and Photoshop can pass all layers information back and forth with just a few mouse clicks, which is very handy for texturing process.
- Painting With Layers - Create photo-realistic textures for your models with as many layers and blending effects as you need.
- 3DConnexion Support - 3D-Coat supports the Space-Navigator from 3DConnexion. It allows you to navigate your model in 3D space easily and conveniently.
- CUDA Acceleration - 3D-Coat uses CUDA acceleration that fundamentally speeds up Voxel Sculpting operations.
- Auto-Retopology - New, time saving technology that automatically creates highly organized and practical mesh topology, with accurate edgeloops and uniform distribution of quads!
- 8 Languages Supported - Available in English, Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, French, German, Korean, and Russian.
- Rendering - Render your masterpieces right within 3D-Coat with multiple light sources, soft shadows, ambient occlusion, depth of field, and many more options.
- Ptex Support - From now on 3D-Coat supports Disney's famous Ptex system! Now you can create absolutely seamless textures without UV unwrapping!
- Intuitive Interface - You will be pleased with a professional and fully customizable interface. Group dockable windows as you like to make your work more effective.
- Friendly Community - Our web-community is the place where you can always find help, some good advice, ecouragment, and lots more.
Download the latest version - 3D-Coat 3.5 - Windows, Mac OS, Linux
Upgrade to V3.5 (free for all V3.x customers) or use 30 day fully functional free trial: http://3d-coat.com/download/login/
Trial version is fully functional during 30 days!
After this period you can use it in demo mode:
-all export functions are disabled
-limitation on quantity of layers per object, maximum 7 layers allowed
-maximum texture size is 2048x2048
- OS: Windows 2000, XP, Vista, Mac OS 10.4.5 (Intel) or later
- CPU: 1.2 GHz or better
- RAM: 512Mb (4096 recommended)
- Video: Radeon 9600/Nvidia 5600 128Mb (256 recommended) or better
- DirectX 9.0c or better for Windows, OpenGL 2.0 for MacOS