Manufacturer Part Number: 4210
The HD Express HDMI opens your Mac or Windows computer to the world of HDMI video, the next-generation digital video connectivity standard found on today's latest HD cameras, monitors and set top boxes. HDMI supports full-raster, pixel-for-pixel digital clarity with no video compression, resulting in stunning image quality and color depth that far surpasses highly-compressed workflows based on DV, HDV, AVC and similar capture codecs. In fact, on many of today's cameras, HDMI output streams directly from a camera’s image sensor, bypassing the compression chip, allowing the HD Express HDMI to deliver an absolutely pristine, uncompressed HD digital video signal straight from the camera's imager to your computer.
If you require the best-possible image quality, you can work with uncompressed HD and use the money you save on the HD Express HDMI for other system components required for uncompressed HD, such as fast storage. Or, if you prefer to edit more conveniently at a lower data rate, you can choose Apple ProRes, ProRes HQ or the codec of your choice in Apple Final Cut Pro for maximum CPU efficiency and smooth editing. In Premiere Pro on Windows, you can choose among several popular codecs, including DVCProHD. By choosing a codec directly supported by your host, you eliminate unnecessary extra stages of compression and decompression, which produces maximum CPU efficiency and smooth editing.
To monitor your work with the best possible image quality, connect the HD Express HDMI output to your favorite affordable plasma, LCD monitor or projector via HDMI or DVI (DVI adapter sold separately). The HD Express HDMI provides all the legacy analog video connectors you need for capturing and monitoring component HD/SD, composite and S-Video in 10-bit 4:2:2 broadcast quality PAL or NTSC. The HD Express HDMI captures and plays all eight channels of embedded HDMI audio, and it even provides eight channels of analog audio output on convenient RCA jacks, which you can connect directly to powered speakers for full 5.1 or 7.1 surround audio monitoring. S/PDIF digital I/O is also provided.
Do you require high-performance desktop operation? The HD Express HDMI is available with PCI Express card connectivity for today’s ultra-fast, multi-core Mac and PC towers. Need to go mobile? The HD Express HDMI is also available with an ExpressCard adapter for any current-generation Mac or Windows laptop equipped with an ExpressCard slot.
From initial capture to final finishing, the HD Express HDMI delivers exceptional video I/O performance and quality.
New Avid Compatibilities!
The HDX-SDI and HD Express, MOTU's PCIe video capture and monitoring devices for Mac and Windows, now support Avid® Media Composer® 6, thanks to Avid's new Open I/O SDK. The result of a development partnership between MOTU and Avid, both MOTU video interface products are now compatible with and fully certified for Media Composer 6, Symphony® 6, and NewsCutter® 10, offering Avid users comprehensive, economical, broadcast-quality video capture and monitoring for a wide range of workflows.
"MOTU is thrilled to be one of a select few hardware partners chosen by Avid to offer i/o solutions for Media Composer, Symphony, and NewsCutter," said Jim Cooper, MOTU Director of Marketing. "MOTU PCI video interfaces offer broadcast-quality HD/SD video capture and monitoring, along with unsurpassed multi-channel audio and synchronization features, to Avid users in an economical, rack-mountable form factor."
"Our customers have asked us for choice, flexibility, and openness, and Avid is excited to deliver support for MOTU interfaces thanks to Avid Open I/O in version 6 of the Media Composer family, including Symphony and NewsCutter. MOTU provide high quality video and audio interfaces that are ideally suited to Avid’s professional users," said Angus Mackay, pro video marketing manager, Avid Technology.
The HDX-SDI and HD Express deliver uncompressed, full-raster 1080/720 HD or SD video to and from Media Composer 6, Symphony, or NewsCutter, allowing users to capture and play HD/SD material using any video format supported by Media Composer and Avid Media Access, such as XDCAM, DNxHD, and ProRes.
With the full rack-space HDX-SDI, users can capture any uncompressed SDI, HDMI, or component HD/SD source and then edit in their Avid-supported codec of choice, while monitoring their Media Composer timeline on external SDI, HDMI and/or component monitors. The half-rack HD Express provides all the same video I/O features for users who don't need SDI. Both interfaces offer comprehensive multi-channel audio capture, monitoring, embedding/de-embedding, and more.
MOTU PCI video interfaces are the ideal economical, all-in-one video capture solutions for Media Composer 6 workflows.
HDX-SDI and HD Express drivers for Avid-qualified Media Composer 6 Mac and Windows systems will soon be available for download at http://www.motu.com/video-download.
- Windows support for Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5HDMI video capture and monitoring for Mac and PC — Capture uncompressed-quality, digital HD from HDMI-equipped camcorders. Monitor pixel for pixel on today’s latest plasma and LCD screens.
- Analog video I/O — Capture and monitor component HD or SD, plus composite and S-Video (NTSC or PAL).
- Tower or laptop operation — connects to a Mac or PC tower via PCI Express for ultra-fast operation, or connect to a laptop via ExpressCard connectivity for mobile operation.
- Comprehensive video capture and monitoring — supports all standard SD and HD video formats up to and including 1080p30 (720p, 1080i, 1080p and 1080PsF).
- Supports Apple Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere Pro.
- Captures and plays uncompressed HD and SD — 10-bit 4:2:2 color depth and 1920x1080 resolution.
- Support for ProRes and other popular codecs — capture and monitor full-raster (1920x1080 or 1280x720) Apple ProRes, ProRes HQ or other popular host-based codecs supported by Apple Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere Pro.
- Support for file-based workflows — lets you capture, edit and monitor in any codec supported natively in Final Cut, including XD CAM, P2, AVC-Intra, DVCPro and others with no transcoding needed.
- Broadcast quality — 10-bit 4:2:2 signal path throughout.
- Comprehensive audio — Capture 8 channels of embedded HDMI audio. Play back stereo, 5.1 or even 7.1 surround sound directly to powered speakers.
- Connect speakers, a home theater amp or an audio mixer and monitor your mix in stereo or full 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound. Also provides S/PDIF digital I/O with sample rate conversion.
- Half rack space form factor with dedicated connectors — no cable swapping or gangly, inconvenient breakout cables. Includes rack mounting brackets.
The HD Express HDMI provides broadcast quality, 10-bit 4:2:2 video capture and monitoring. The front panel provides convenient inputs for legacy SD capture and full 10-bit uncompressed HDMI capture from today's latest HD camcorders. The component section provides both RGB and YPbPr, but they can alternatively serve as CVBS (composite) in/out or even Y/C (S-Video) in/out.
- 1 x HDMI in and out (4:2:2 10-bit, YCbCr or RGB)
- Support for DVI output with HDMI-to-DVI adapter (sold separately)
- 1 x HD/SD component in and out (10-bit, YPbPr or RGB) on RCAs
- 1 x composite in (10-bit) on RCA
- 1 x S-Video in (10-bit) on 4-pin mini-DIN
- 1 x composite in and out (10-bit CVBS) on shared RCA
- 1 x S-Video in and out (10-bit Y/C) on shared RCA
The HD Express HDMI supports the following SD and HD video formats:
- 576i25 (PAL)
- 486i29.97 (NTSC)
The HD Express HDMI provides both stereo and 8-channel surround audio capture and monitoring. The HD Express HDMI provides stereo analog audio recording, stereo S/PDIF digital input, plus support for eight channels of HDMI embedded digital audio input. All told, you get 12 simultaneous channels of audio input.
For audio output, the HD Express HDMI provides eight channels of analog audio output on convenient RCA jacks, which you can connect directly to powered speakers for full 5.1 or 7.1 surround audio monitoring. The HD Express HDMI supports 8-channel embedded HDMI audio output, for a total of 16 channels of simultaneous audio output.
The S/PDIF digital input/output provides sample rate conversion, for trouble-free digital audio transfers.
No other HDMI interface offers this much audio connectivity and convenience.
- 12 channels of simultaneous audio input
- 16 channels of simultaneous audio output
- Supports all standard audio sample rates from 44.1 to 96kHz
- 8 x RCA analog outputs
- 2 x RCA analog input
- 2 x S/PDIF digital input and output with sample rate conversion
- 8 x HDMI embedded audio in and out
- Front panel headphone jack with dedicated volume control
Regardless of whether you work with uncompressed, ProRes, DVCProHD, P2, AVCHD, XDCAM, HDV or maybe even just SD, the HD Express HDMI can enhance your workflow. In fact, the HD Express HDMI gives you the flexibility choose any host-based or file-based workflow that Final Cut or Premiere supports.
- Uncompressed - With the blazing speed of PCI Express, the HD Express HDMI delivers broadcast-quality 10-bit 4:2:2 uncompressed video to Final Cut Pro or Premiere Pro. HDMI provides full-raster, pixel-for-pixel digital clarity with absolutely no video compression, so it does not suffer the inherent image degradation caused by compression. HDMI delivers stunning image quality and color depth that far surpasses highly-compressed FireWire-based video capture via DV, HDV, AVC-Intra and similar capture codecs. In fact, HDMI output usually streams directly from a camera’s image sensor, bypassing the compression chip, allowing the HD Express HDMI to deliver an absolutely pristine, uncompressed HD digital video signal straight from the camera's imager to your computer. If you require the best-possible image quality, you can work with uncompressed HD and use the money you save on the HD Express HDMI for other system components required for uncompressed HD, such as fast storage. Or, if you prefer to edit more conveniently at a lower data rate, you can choose Apple ProRes, ProRes HQ or the codec of your choice in Apple Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere Pro. By choosing a codec directly supported by your host, you eliminate unnecessary extra stages of compression and decompression, which produces maximum CPU efficiency and smooth editing.
- ProRes - With Final Cut Pro, the HD Express HDMI provides full-raster 1920 x 1080 (or 1280 x 720) HD capture and playback using Apple's ProRes 422 codec in both standard and HQ modes. You can ingest an uncompressed SDI or component HD source and then capture and edit in ProRes while monitoring your ProRes timeline in HD or SD. The HD Express HDMI is the ideal HDMI video capture solution for your Apple ProRes workflow.
- Red - If you are shooting with a Red camera and editing in Final Cut Pro, you may also have chosen to use ProRes as your digital intermediate format. If so, the HD Express HDMI provides an extremely economical solution for multi-format monitoring via ProRes. Just choose the HD Express HDMI as your output device, connect an HDMI-equipped monitor and go.
- XD Cam EX - The Sony PMW-EX1 camera captures stunning full-raster 1080 XDCAM EX footage. Import your XDCAM clips and monitor them via the HD Express HDMI with no transcoding needed, thanks to Final Cut Pro's native support for the XDCAM format. Alternatively, you can ingest material via the HD Express's HDMI input to capture, monitor and edit your full-raster EX1 material as ProRes clips with stunning quality in Final Cut Pro.
- AVCHD - Panasonic's latest generation cameras capture stunning full-raster 1080 AVCHD footage. Import your AVCHD clips into Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 and monitor them via the HD Express HDMI with no transcoding needed, thanks to Premiere's native support for the AVCHD format. Alternatively, you can ingest material via the HD Express HDMI's HDMI input to capture, monitor and edit your full-raster camera output in Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro using the video codec of your choice, such as ProRes or DVCProHD.
- DVCProHD/P2 - The HD Express HDMI fully supports the native P2HD support in both Final Cut Pro and Premiere Pro. You can import P2 clips and then monitor in HD and SD immediately, without the need to transcode first. Ingest any source directly into your timeline as DVCProHD.
- HDV - HDV presents challenges when it comes to native editing. Overcome them by capturing your HDV footage with the HD Express HDMI via HDMI or component as ProRes or DVCProHD. Then edit with intra-frame speed and stunning 10-bit 4:2:2 quality that holds up during compositing. Deliver in any broadcast quality format you wish.
- SD - Are you working mainly in SD? The HD Express HDMI lets you capture and play 10-bit uncompressed SD (NTSC or PAL) via HDMI, component, composite and S-Video. When you are ready to make the jump to HD, the HD Express HDMI allows you to begin work immediately, with HD capture and monitoring via either HDMI or HD component. Just connect your HD monitor and HD deck, and you are ready to go.
Final Cut Pro
- Apple ProRes 422 standard and HQ
The HD Express HDMI supports full-raster 1920 x 1080 HD capture and playback using Apple's ProRes 422 codec in both standard and HQ modes. Ingest any uncompressed SDI or component HD source and then capture and edit in ProRes while monitoring your ProRes timeline. The HD Express HDMI is the ideal all-in-one HDMI video capture solution for your Apple ProRes workflow.
- Other workflows
Because it delivers uncompressed HD and SD video to and from the computer, the HD Express HDMI also allows you to capture and play HD material using any full-raster video format supported by Final Cut Pro, such as XDCAM.
- Designed for Final Cut Pro
Using the HD Express HDMI with Final Cut Pro couldn't be easier. The HD Express HDMI software installer provides Easy Setup presets, Sequence presets, and Capture presets to get you going quickly. In minutes, you'll be ready to log and capture, edit and monitor your project material.
- Audio I/O
The HD Express HDMI provides up to 8 simultaneous channels of embedded HDMI audio capture and playback with Final Cut Pro. Stereo analog and S/PDIF digital I/O is also provided.
The HD Express HDMI represents a comprehensive and versatile HDMI video I/O solution for Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 on Windows.
- Choose your workflow
The HD Express HDMI allows you to capture any video source, either SD or HD, in any video format supported natively by Premiere Pro, including uncompressed HD, uncompressed SD (standard AVI clips), DV, AVC-Intra, DVCPro50, DVCProHD and others.
- Take Premiere Pro on the road
The HD Express HDMI is available for purchase with an ExpressCard34 adapter for connection to any ExpressCard-equipped PC laptop computer. The ExpressCard adapter handles video with the same speed and bandwidth as the PCI card adapter for tower computers, so you get as much video I/O performance as your laptop's CPU and storage performance allows.
Are you thinking about doing field capture with a laptop, or editing on the go with a laptop-based system? The HD Express HDMI connects to a Mac or PC notebook via an included ExpressCard adapter, but it is also available with a PCI Express card for operation with today’s ultra-fast multi-core Mac and Windows towers.
Most current-generation high-performance PC laptops, including Apple MacBook Pro computers, are equipped with ExpressCard slots. On these portable systems, the HD Express HDMI gives you broadcast-quality capture and monitoring. With the enormous performance gains seen in laptop technology, these compact computers are now powerful enough to easily capture and play back both HD and uncompressed SD video. You can essentially build a complete capture/edit system that fits in a backpack.
There's another major benefit for using ExpressCard connectivity to a laptop for video I/O: doing so frees up the FireWire port on your laptop for professional-grade video storage solutions, which offer enough storage space and access speed to support the most demanding HD and uncompressed SD workflows.
- 1 GB of RAM; 2 GB or more is recommended
- Available PCI-Express x1 slot or ExpressCard/34 slot
- Large hard disk drive (preferably at least 500 GB)
- CD-ROM disc drive for installation
- For Mac OS X: Multi-processor or multi-core Intel Mac, Mac OS X v10.5.7 or later. For use with Final Cut Pro 6.0.5 or later; Final Cut Pro 7.0 or later is recommended under Mac OS X v10.6
- For Windows: Windows support will be available soon as a free download. Check http://www.motu.com/video-download/windows-downloads.html for updates.
- Chassis dimensions, excluding rack ears and front and back panel knobs and connectors: 8.625 x 7 x 1.75 inches (22 x 17.78 x 4.45 cm). Knobs and connectors extend up to 0.5 inch (1.27 cm) from front and back panels, adding 1 inch (2.54 cm) to depth. With rack ears attached, fits in one-half of a standard 19 inch (48.26 cm) rack at 1U high, when attached to another MOTU unit with the same half-rack form factor.