Manufacturer Part Number: FUS-DX8SR-8TB
If you’re working in HD, you need fast and reliable storage. If you’re doing a lot of work in HD, you need easy expandability and improved file protection. Sonnet’s Fusion DX800RAID storage systems meet your needs with breakthrough performance and proven data safety, provided in affordable, direct attached disk arrays for the desktop. Fusion DX800RAID storage systems are designed for work environments where performance and fault tolerance are critical, and simple expandability a must. Fusion DX800RAID storage systems are fast enough to easily handle uncompressed HD while protecting the data at the same time, yet flexible enough to be configured for any workflow. Under real world use (drives 85% filled and fragmented) with its drives formatted as a RAID 5 group (eight 1TB drives striped with parity across all group members), a Fusion DX800RAID system is capable of single-stream 2K (2048 x 1556) LOG RGB capture and playback. A Fusion DX800RAID system can achieve up to 680MB/sec (AJA Kona 1080HD test), fast enough to handle a single stream of uncompressed 10-bit 1080 4:4:4 HD, or multiple streams of ProRes 422, uncompressed 8-bit 1080 HD, DV, HDV, and DVCPRO video. With drives formatted as a RAID 4, RAID 5, RAID 6, or DVRAID group, Fusion DX800RAID systems offer fail-safe protection in the event of a drive failure. You can set up your system to provide visual and audible alerts, including e-mail notification. A drive can be swapped out and the RAID group rebuilt in 2, 3, or 4 hours (4, 6, or 8TB configurations(1), respectively), or you can continue to work at reduced bandwidth while the RAID group rebuilds in the background.
- High Performance—A single Fusion DX800RAID system with eight 1TB drives (configured as RAID 5) delivers up to 680 MB/sec read, 640 MB/sec write data transfers; greater performance possible with additional Fusion DX800RAID systems connected
- Easy, Economic Expandability—Internal SAS expander enables you to connect up to 16 DX800RAID enclosures to a single Sonnet RAID controller card
- Failsafe File Protection—Fusion DX800RAID supports RAID levels 4, 5, and 6 to protect data in case of a drive failure (two drives with RAID 6) while maintaining great performance
- Monitored Operation—SES (SCSI Enclosure Services) and S.M.A.R.T. data reporting provide real-time monitoring of the enclosure and drives
- Better Windows Support—Overcomes volume size limit in Windows to fully support volumes larger than 2TB
- Complete storage system includes enclosure, RAID controller card, drive modules, cables, and software; expansion storage system includes enclosure, drive modules, and power cable
- Enterprise/RAID Edition drives(1)
- Universal 100–240V, 50/60Hz power supply
- Drive Activity, Drive Presence, Power, SES, and Link LED indicators
- Quiet fans
- RoHS compliant
When you need to grow your storage capacity, wouldn't you like a system that's expandable without hassle? Fusion DX800RAID storage systems have you covered. When your job calls for access to more than 8TB of files at a time, Sonnet offers an economical upgrade path that is simple to deploy—Fusion DX800RAID storage expansion systems. Each DX800RAID storage system features an internal SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) expander that enables you to connect additional DX800RAID enclosures in a daisy chain, no additional RAID controller card needed. This simplifies installation and significantly reduces your cost to expand capacity. Of course, if your needs are simpler, each system includes user-swappable drive modules so you can easily change sets of drives as you go.
Fusion DX800RAID systems support RAID 0 for pure, unadulterated speed; RAID 1 for ultimate redundancy; and RAID 4 (DV RAID), 5, 6, and 10 for balanced, failsafe file protection and performance; JBOD support is available, too. Fusion DX800RAID systems even support hot spares—a designated hot spare drive waits unused in the background to automatically replace a failed drive without you having to lift a finger. All this flexibility is accomplished without switches—a simple to use configuration utility enables you to optimize your setup for specific workflow requirements.
The reliability of the Fusion DX800RAID is further enhanced through SES (SCSI Enclosure Services) 2.0 compliance, a feature more commonly found on enterprise storage systems, and enhanced S.M.A.R.T (Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology) data reporting for each hard drive installed in the system. Built into the Fusion DX800RAID enclosure, SES functionality provides enhanced real-time monitoring and reporting of drive, power supply, and temperature status, with real-time results displayed in utility application screens and the illumination of conveniently placed LEDs on the enclosure. S.M.A.R.T. data criteria can be used to notify you of an impending drive failure and enable you to minimize downtime as a result.
The heart of a Fusion DX800RAID storage system is the Sonnet PCI Express® RAID controller. This powerhouse is based on the latest-generation Intel® IOP348 RAID processor running at 1.2 GHz, which can handle the throughput from all the drives with plenty of overhead. The Sonnet RAID controller is configured with 256MB of ECC-protected RAM, especially important to maintain data stream writes as the disk array nears capacity.
Fusion DX800RAID storage systems employ Enterprise/RAID Edition hard drives(2). These drives are subjected to hours of additional, stringent testing to check for soft errors, vibration, and other reliability predictors—just the sturdiest drives pass these tests and are prepared with special RAID-optimized firmware.
Enterprise/RAID drives offer higher MTBF (mean time between failure) specs, carry longer warranties than “desktop" drives, and are the building blocks of a super-reliable Fusion storage system.
These systems are ideal for use in mixed environments—various operating systems, editing applications and output demands requiring the flexibility and interoperability that Fusion DX800RAID storage systems provide. Fusion DX800RAID systems support Mac OS® X, Windows 7, Vista, Windows® XP, and Linux. They are compatible with capture cards from AJA, Blackmagic Design, Matrox, and Bluefish444, and work with all mainstream video editing applications including Apple® Final Cut Pro®, and Adobe® Premiere® Pro CS3.
- Warranty 5-year
- Data Transfer Speed Up to 815 MB/s read, 715 MB/sec write, depending on configuration
- Supported Drive Configurations Hardware-based JBOD; RAID 0, 1, 4, 5, 6, and 10
- Supported Video Formats 2K (2048 x 1556) LOG RGB, 10-bit 1080 4:4:4 HD, uncompressed 8-bit 1080i HD, ProRes 422, DV, HDV, DVCPRO, and uncompressed SD
- Sonnet PCIe RAID Controller Card
- Bus Interface PCI Express x8
- External Connectors Two mini-SAS
- RAID Processor Intel IOP348
- Firmware Flash-ROM upgradeable to latest firmware version
- RoHS Compliant Yes
- DX800RAID Drive Enclosure
- External Connectors Two mini-SAS
- Drives Supported 3 and 1.5 Gb per second Serial ATA; up to 7,200 RPM
- Power Supply 300W, 100-240V, 50/60Hz Universal
- Operating Temperature +41º F to +104º F (5º C to +40º C)
- Dimensions WxDxH: 7.4 x 15.8 x 11.2 in (18.7 x 40.1 x 28.6 cm)
- Weight (with drives) 28.1 lbs (12.7 kg)
- Noise Fusion DX800RAID: 42 dBA (Ambient Office: 40-50 dBA)
- RoHS Compliant Yes
Although hard drive manufacturers and Mac OS X 10.6 define 1 gigabyte as 1,000,000,000 byte, many other computer operating systems calculate a gigabyte by dividing the bytes by 1,073,741,824 (). This distinction may be a cause of confusion, as a hard disk with a manufacturer rating of 1000GB may have its capacity reported by the operating system as 915GB.
Sonnet Technologies has qualified and specifies the hard drives listed here for use in Fusion DX800RAID storage systems. These drives were chosen for their superior performance, error handling, and reliability characteristics, especially when used in RAID groups. Sonnet recommends the use of these Enterprise/RAID edition hard drives and select, Sonnet certified desktop hard drives in your Fusion storage system to ensure system reliability and performance. STANDARD DRIVES MAY NOT BE SUPPORTED AND MAY DEGRADE SYSTEM RELIABILITY AND PERFORMANCE.
• Hitachi Ultrastar A7K1000, # HUA721050KLA330
• Seagate Barracuda ES, # ST3500630NS
• Seagate Barracuda ES.2, # ST3500320NS(3)
• Hitachi Ultrastar A7K1000, # HUA721075KLA330
• Seagate Barracuda ES, # ST3750640NS
• Seagate Barracuda ES.2, # ST3750330NS(3)
• Hitachi Deskstar E7K1000, # HDE721010SLA330
• Hitachi Ultrastar A7K1000, # HUA721010KLA330
• Hitachi Ultrastar A7K2000, # HUA722010CLA330
• Seagate Barracuda ES.2, # ST31000340NS(3)
• Seagate Barracuda 7200.11, # ST31500341AS(4)
• Hitachi Ultrastar A7K2000, # HUA722020ALA330 (higher performance)
There are unresolved technical issues in the Fusion DX800RAID with the following Enterprise/RAID edition drives, which are not recommended at this time:
• 500GB Samsung Spinpoint F RAID, # E502IJ
• 750 GB Samsung Spinpoint F RAID, # HE753LJ
• 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F RAID, # HE103UJ
Only Seagate ES.2 drives with firmware versions SN06 and newer compatible. Seagate ES.2 drives with firmware versions SN03, SN04, or SN05 are NOT compatible.
- Package Contents (Complete System) Desktop disk enclosure, Sonnet PCIe RAID controller card, two 2-meter mini-SAS cables, eight 3.5" drive modules, power cord, software CD, user’s guides
- Package Contents (Expansion) Desktop disk enclosure, eight 3.5" drive modules, power cord
- OS Compatibility
- Mac OS X Version 10.4.8+ (including Snow Leopard)
- Windows 7, Vista, Server 2008, Server 2003, and XP Pro
- Linux (RedHat ES 3, 4; Suse RedHat ES 3, 4; Suse Linux 9, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 10, 10.1 and the following architectures: i386; x86_64 (AMD64, Intel EM64T)
- Hardware Compatibility
- Mac, Windows, or Linux computer with available x8 (or x4) PCI Express (PCIe) slot